School of Electronics & Electrical Engineering
“I’m recruiting self-motivated students who want to work on computer architecture or digital systems design research”
Gunjae Koo is an assistant professor in the School of Electronics and Electrical Engineering at the Hongik University. His research interest is in computer architecture, memory systems, storage systems, and accelerator design. His current research focuses on memory systems of parallel processors and near data processing on storage platforms.
Gunjae completed his Ph.D. in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Southern California (USC) working with Professor Murali Annavaram. He earned his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Seoul National University, South Korea. He worked for LG Electronics Digital TV and System IC laboratory as a senior research engineer involved in multiple research projects developing SoCs for storage devices and digital TVs. He also worked on high performance memory controller for server architecture at Intel.
- Paper on Graph Semantic Aware SSD accepted to ISCA 2019 (03/2019)
- Paper on Victim Cache using GPU Register File accepted to ISCA 2019 (03/2019)
- Received funding from NRF to support research on “Near Data Processing Systems for Machine Learning Applications” (09/2018)
- Presented “CTA-Aware Prefetching and Scheduling” at IPDPS 2018 (05/2018)
- Presented “Dynamic Near Data Processing Framework for SSDs” at NVMW 2018 (03/2018)
- Paper on Prefetching and Scheduling for GPU accepted to IPDPS 2018 (12/2017)
- Presented “Summarizer: Trading Communication with Computing Near Storage” at MICRO 2017 (10/2017)
- Paper on Dynamic Near Data Processing Framework for SSDs accepted to MICRO 2017 (07/2017)
- Presented “Access Pattern-Aware Cache Management” at ISCA 2017 (06/2017)
- Paper on Access Pattern-Aware Cache Management for GPU accepted to ISCA 2017 (02/2017)
- Completed the internship at Intel with outstanding performance review (12/2016)
- [IPDPS ’18] Gunjae Koo, Hyeran Jeon, Zhenhong Liu, Nam Sung Kim, and Murali Annavaram. “CTA-Aware Prefetching and Scheduling for GPU“. Proceedings of the 32nd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium.
- [MICRO ’17] Gunjae Koo, Kiran Kumar Matam, Te I, Hema Venkata Krishna Giri Nara, Jing Li, Hung-Wei Tseng, Steven Swanson, and Murali Annavaram, “Summarizer: Trading Communication with Computing Near Storage“. Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture.
- [ISCA ’17] Gunjae Koo, Yunho Oh, Won Woo Ro, and Murali Annavaram, “Access Pattern-Aware Cache Management for Improving Data Utilization in GPU“. Proceedings of the 44th Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture.
- [TC ’16] Sangpil Lee, Keunsoo Kim, Gunjae Koo, Hyeran Jeon, Murali Annavaram, and Won Woo Ro. “Improving Energy Efficiency of GPUs through Data Compression and Compressed Execution“. IEEE Transactions on Computers.
- [HPCA ’16] Keunsoo Kim, Sangpil Lee, Myung Kuk Yoon, Gunjae Koo, Won Woo Ro, and Murali Annavaram, “Warped-Preexecution: A GPU Pre-execution Approach for Improving Latency Hiding“. Proceedings of the 22nd International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture.
- [IISWC ’15] Gunjae Koo, Hyeran Jeon, and Murali Annavaram. “Revealing Critical Loads and Hidden Data Locality in GPGPU Applications“. Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization.
- [ISCA ’15] Sangpil Lee, Keunsoo Kim, Gunjae Koo, Hyeran Jeon, Won Woo Ro, and Murali Annavaram. “Warped-Compression: Enabling Power Efficient GPUs through Register Compression“. Proceedings of the 42nd Annual International Symposium on Computer Architecture.
Awards and Honors
- Viterbi School of Engineering Doctoral Fellowship (08/2011 ~ 07/2015)
- The 2009 LG Group Best R&D Product Award: 4th prize (03/2010)
- The 2008 Outstanding Researcher Award in DTV Research Laboratory (01/2009)
- Honors Scholarship in the Department of Electrical Engineering (03/1999)